The EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Large-Area Electronics (www-large-area-electronics.eng.cam.ac.uk) brings together the four existing academic UK Plastic Electronics Centres of Excellence: CIKC at the University of Cambridge, the Centre for Plastic Electronics at Imperial College, the Welsh Centre for Printing and Coating at Swansea University and the Organic Materials Innovation Centre at the University of Manchester, to work with industry partners to address key research challenges for manufacturing large area electronic systems, focusing on the need for multifunctional systems that include for example: sensors; power generation and storage; signal processing and logic elements; output capability through information display or by wireless transmission.
The objectives for the EPSRC Centre are:
- to address the technical challenges of low-cost manufacturing of multi-functional LAE systems
- to develop a long-term research programme in advanced manufacturing processes aimed at ongoing reduction in manufacturing cost and improvement in system performance.
- to support the scale-up of technologies and processes developed in and with the Centre by UK manufacturing industry
- to promote the adoption of LAE technologies by the wider UK electronics manufacturing industry
The EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Large Area Electronics started work on October 1st 2013. More details about the EPSRC Centre can be found on our web-site at www-large-area-electronics.eng.cam.ac.uk
The EPSRC Centres for Innovative Manufacturing maximise the impact of innovative research for the UK, opening up new industries and markets in growth areas.
The aims for the EPSRC Centres are:
• To create a coherent programme of innovative manufacturing research;
• To address major long-term manufacturing challenges
• To provide strong support for UK manufacturing industries;
• To enhance the global profile and significance of UK manufacturing research;
• To create a national network of expertise in manufacturing knowledge
There are current 16 EPSRC Centres, for more details of the EPSRC Centres see http://www.epsrc.ac.uk/research/centres/innovativemanufacturing/Pages/centres.aspx